As in all walks of life accidents will occasionally happen but many may be avoided by following the guidelines below.
- All harness should be in a sound condition and adjusted to fit the horse or pony.
- No horse or pony may be driven with out a bit.
- The vehicle should be in sound condition and of a type suitable for the terrain to be covered.
- Never put a horse/pony into an environment which you believe it will find alien.
- Before attending a group event e.g. rally, show, ensure that your horse is happy driving with other turnouts.
- When driving in company never move off adjacent to another horse being put to without checking that the other driver is happy for you to do so.
- When driving in company leave sufficient distance from the vehicle in front to permit change of pace or direction.
- After descending a slope remember that all turnouts behind must be clear of the slope before anyone increases pace.
- Look well ahead and remember what you miss(!) that your horse sees could be the start of a problem.
- Avoid driving on the highway at dawn/dusk and at night. If this cannot be avoided reflective clothing and carriage stickers are essential.
- After lighting-up time vehicles on the highway must have reflectors and red rear electric lamps – candle lamps do not provide sufficient lighting.
- Your whip is an aid – and should be in your hand and not the whip socket.
- Never tie a turnout to a fixed object with a horse/pony still in the shafts.
- Never tie a turnout to another turnout.
- Never dismount from the vehicle unless you have someone at the horse’s head.
- Never remove the bridle until the horse is free of the vehicle.
- Always approach a ridden horse with extreme care.
- An active groom or passenger should be carried in the vehicle at all times.
- Always stop in a space which allows you to exit easily at any time, especially applicable to groups.
- Pass pedestrians and other horses, ridden or driven, carefully – not too close or fast.
Hours of Operation
MON – FRI
10:00am – 4:00pm
We are out Driving
Hoste House, Whiting St, Bury Saint Edmunds IP33 1NR
Drop Us a Line
Don't be shy. Let us know if you have any questions!